NewsDecember 11, 2005 11:40 PM ET4,979 views

Soilwork lose guitarist, announce drummer

Soilwork have announced the amicable departure of guitarist Peter Wichers. Here's a statement from Wichers: "This has been one of my hardest decisions to make, and SOILWORK has not only been my band but my second family and very good friends for almost 10 years. I'm just worn out from all the touring and I have reached a point in my life where touring is just not possible for me anymore. I need a break from the touring so that I can actually begin to build a more solid ground to stand on for the future. I have on this journey met so many amazing people, made so many new friends, played in front of thousands of people, and I got to travel to places I have always dreamt of visiting. Soilwork has reached a level I never thought was possible, and I am so proud to have been a part of this amazing band experience and working alongside with such amazing people like I have. I know that in order for Soilwork to reach a new level there has to be even more touring done, and I feel as if it's only fair that someone else therefore fills my spot now instead of later. I have decided to continue with my second passion in life, which is music production and recording, and in order to achieve this goal I need to put all my time and energy into this. Soilwork and I will remain great friends and I wish them all the success in the future. I also wish to extend a gigantic 'thank you' to all the fans, the label, friends and bands and magazines for the great support and encouragement. I can also say that this is not the end for me in music, but the beginning of something new!" Meanwhile, session drummer Dirk Verbeuren has officially joined the band full-time. Verbeuren had the following to say: "It has been almost two years since Peter first gave me a call offering me to join SOILWORK for their first headlining tour in Europe. Many tours and one album later, I feel like a part of the family. Be it on a human or musical level, everything has clicked perfectly since day one, and it has been a truly mindblowing experience. Therefore I am very happy to announce my becoming Soilwork's official full-time drummer! As some of you may already know, I also play in my own band Scarve, and I will keep on doing so. Schedules will probably be hectic at times, but Scarve will keep on writing music and touring as much as possible. It's a time of many changes, but the future is ours and Soilwork has many more things to offer. We are all very confident about what lies ahead, and we will kick your asses!!!"

behran 12/11/2005 8:44:49 PM

I remember when this band was good.

JohnnyJohnny 12/11/2005 8:45:01 PM

first post

behran 12/11/2005 8:45:07 PM

guess that was first post..whatever

JohnnyJohnny 12/11/2005 8:45:25 PM

fck me!!!!

anomie 12/11/2005 8:51:55 PM

They hang out with Will Smith now, lol

evilgyro 12/11/2005 8:55:52 PM

who?

getaids 12/11/2005 9:27:41 PM

Man, as much as I don't care about this band anymore, that blows.

LordofChaos 12/11/2005 9:35:49 PM

Hung out with Soilworlk for about a 5 days this past summer on Ozzfest! Decent dudes, I don't like the band to much musically though!!

kill_x_hippies 12/11/2005 9:38:57 PM

yikes watch your toes

cryptic_slaughter 12/11/2005 10:06:30 PM

soilwork's material turned to shit faster than metallica

scared_to_death 12/11/2005 10:16:30 PM

that guy is an insane guitarist, holy crap the shit he plays on predators portrait is outta hand

killemo 12/11/2005 11:58:06 PM

kids at the mall are fuming

a_new_beginning 12/12/2005 1:05:57 AM

Lord, i will never understand why you insist on having the fcking stupid exclamation points after every single sentence you write on here. it is honestly obnoxious. just please, explain your reasoning

fataaron 12/12/2005 1:45:41 AM

wow someone in soilwork finally realized what direction they were going in and quit..

anaturaldisaster 12/12/2005 3:30:27 AM

Soilwork always have been and always will be good, no matter how nu they get.

DoctorDooom 12/12/2005 7:55:22 AM

english is a complicated language!!! Shred it!!!

LordofChaos 12/12/2005 8:02:34 AM

Hey "New beginning", count how many people on here use more than one exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't HATE me cause you AIN'T me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thetruthhurts 12/12/2005 12:11:12 PM

Dirk is a great drummer. the drums on the last record were very entertaining. \m/

stabface 12/12/2005 12:31:57 PM

f this band

xAndThenYouDiex 12/12/2005 12:39:02 PM

I definately miss when these guys kicked ass

forumdrama 12/12/2005 1:00:33 PM

translation: I am tired of having my name tarnished by being in a band whose material keeps taking a step down in a shit direction

phobophile 12/12/2005 3:23:21 PM

if you knew anything about the band you'd know that he has always been the main songwriter (on every album), and he wanted to move in a more catchy, electronic direction.

natexnathan 12/12/2005 6:33:00 PM

soilwork is terrible.

crestfallenphoto 12/13/2005 2:14:50 AM

Used to be one of my favorite metal bands. Last few albums have been fcking trash though. So lame...