NewsMay 12, 2024 11:57 PM ET4,190 views

Slipknot's new drummer, Eloy Casagrande, shares his side of how he came to be in the band

eloy slipknot

In a recent interview, Slipknot's newly revealed drummer Eloy Casagrande shed light on how he joined the band, addressing some of the controversy surrounding his addition. Following his departure from Sepultura, where he had been playing since 2011, Casagrande faced criticism from both Slipknot fans upset about Jay Weinberg's departure and from Sepultura themselves, who accused him of abandoning them just before their farewell tour. Casagrande discussed the transition in an interview with Veja São Paulo, offering insights into his journey into his new band.

In the interview Casagrande shared how he was approached by Slipknot and on how he found out he made the cut:

The invitation came in December, through (their) manager. He asked if I was interested in auditioning first. I accepted. They asked me to record and send them some videos from right here in Brazil. Initially there were 3 songs, then they asked me for 3 more, and asked if I had any plans to go to the United States, and I was scheduled to perform there in January with my instrumental music project, Casagrande & Hanysz.

So they moved my flight up a bit, and I spent 5 days in Palm Springs, rehearsing with the full band. Then they asked me to extend my stay by another 5 days, so we could record some things. I think that was also part of the audition, they threw new ideas at me to see what my songwriting was like. They wanted to test me in every way.

Slipknot is made up of 9 musicians, so there are many spheres and layers, and they needed everyone's approval before they gave me the OK. I think it was on February 5, 6 that I received confirmation that I had passed the test.

He also shred light on how auditioning for the band went:

At first, they didn't explain what we were going to do. It was all kind of in the dark. The first thing they sent was a NDA document, so I couldn't discuss it with anyone. I learned the setlist, prepared myself and, 4 days before the trip, they sent me a list of 32 songs that it would be important for me to know. Many of the songs I was learning weren't on that list, so I started looking for sheet music.

When I got there (in the United States), they gave me a setlist on the first day, which had some songs I didn't know either, but we went out playing. On the first day, I was very nervous, because the band was complete, and it's quite an impact to see the guys there in front of you. It's a band I've been listening to since I was a teenager, and followed on TV.

On the first day I was terrible, I didn't like my performance, but from the second day on I improved. Each day they played a different setlist in the morning, so I had a few hours to learn a song or two that was missing. Overall, it was very smooth. I had everyone's support.

Even though Sepultura has poised to break up following their announced "farewell" World Tour, however Casagrande said it was complicated and a individual decision to leave the group early:

I received the invitation to audition after the tour was announced. The big thing, the reason I agreed to audition, was the end of Sepultura. The band was going to break up, and I didn't want to stop playing drums at the age of 33. I had a chat with Slipknot, asked about their schedule and if it would be possible to juggle the two bands, but they said no, it wouldn't be possible, I'd be exclusive.

So it was my decision to leave Sepultura. It was complicated, I told them when I had closed the deal on February 5 or 6. That very day I called a meeting and explained the situation. That was it, an individual decision.

On wearing a mask in his new role:

The first big change when wearing a mask is mental. It's another persona in there. The mask has life. If someone else puts it on, it won't be the same. I created it together with Shawn, we worked out the design together, so it's a combination of Slipknot and my personality. But when you put the mask on, something different happens. I can't explain it yet.

And the physical aspect of playing is calm, I thought it would be worse. Of course it gets hot, because it's full of foam, so I get very sweaty. But there's a good space to breathe. Before the first performance, I was rehearsing with a mask made for athletes, which simulates altitude. It has several valves and covers the nose and mouth, restricting breathing. This helped me play more calmly.

[via ThePRP]

anonymous 64 days ago

He beat tortilla man in a tortilla eating contest.

anonymous 64 days ago

wow, that's a lot of words just to say, "I succ Clownie dicccc"

anonymous 64 days ago

I have given my wife to her obese black lover. I'm just a thin white male with no blubber on my body. I couldn't even survive one winter without food.

anonymous 64 days ago

Didn't even read but I bet it goes like this. "I just let a band y'all n*ggas hiring?" "We just got rid of our drummer, yeah". Slipknot is the least relevant band of the last 16 years. The last thing they did worth anything was the last album they did with Paul.

anonymous 64 days ago

****LEFT and I read the thing and you didn't audition for 9 people. You auditioned for one guy while the little singer hopped around like that thing from the of the rings like "do we likes him mr clowns sir……."

anonymous 64 days ago

Lord of the rings***** whatever. f*ck this loser who is at the age to be in a band worth wild but chooses to be in a dying joke. Just like how the last drummer joined the lamest band to be apart of in 2024. The fact that BEN WEINMAN is the dude playing guitar while they hop around acting like it's the 80s and they are little gang bangers still is funny. This isn't metal sucks blabbermouth or alternative press dude. Stop sucking cock thinking this site is anything more than an outlet for hardcore kids.

anonymous 64 days ago

He's not allowed to balance other projects, but Corey can do several others? Hypocritical BS.

anonymous 64 days ago

Mark ass trick ass bitch don't know nothin' about no Slipknot ya heard!

anonymous 64 days ago

Everyone in my trailer park is debating this drama right now

anonymous 64 days ago

He was the best bj giver

Slipknot f*cking sucks

Retire

rick____tocchet 64 days ago

Cant wait to read the headline that Slipknkt fired this guy in a few years.

VottScogel 64 days ago

anonymous 5 hours ago He's not allowed to balance other projects, but Corey can do several others? Hypocritical BS ^yea but depends on the pay lol. If they're paying him dog shit AND he can't do other projects that's BS. If he's expected to solely dedicate himself to Slipknot and they're compensating him accordingly, hey he signed the deal.

anonymous 64 days ago

If you only had 30 dollars to spend what would you get from the lambgoat store?>

anonymous 64 days ago

They got any exclusive limited edition t shirt designs?

anonymous 64 days ago

So weird hearing business talk related to heavy metal trash music. You are not a businessman you are a retarded cromagnon missing link with a guitar. You are not clever, SMART, or a business minded person. You are a retard with aa pile of fruit on a sunny day

anonymous 64 days ago

Left one has been band for an even worse one.

anonymous 63 days ago

Can we get a feature-length documentary every time some asshole joins or leaves slipknot ffs

tl;dr: He tried out.

anonymous 63 days ago

For real. Do we really need the inside scoop/juicy details on the hired-gun who got hired by a band who hires hired-guns? Homey will be in the band until his length of stay makes the salary demands he would require more high-maintenance than just going out and getting a new, younger (cheaper) for-hire drummer. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

anonymous 63 days ago

When you get a salary and insurance from SLIPKNOT, INCORPORATED, you can't work side gigs.

anonymous 63 days ago

Heres how it went down... Phone call: Slipknot band manager: Eloy the band is excited to have you on the team. How does the offer 45k to 65k for 2 yrs of touring and an optional album sound? No song credits possible of course or royalty options. Eloy: Im on board man!

anonymous 63 days ago

Met in palm springs to have gay sex*

anonymous 63 days ago

Slipknot? More like Slip-not a good f*cking band will everyone just shut the f*ck up about them already?

anonymous 63 days ago

Anyone buy anything cool from the lambgoat shop lately? I have 30 bucks to spend.

anonymous 63 days ago

"Slipknot is made up of 9 musicians" Nah.

No gag reflex

anonymous 63 days ago

"Slipknot band manager: Eloy the band is excited to have you on the team. How does the offer 45k to 65k for 2 yrs of touring and an optional album sound? No song credits possible of course or royalty options" Bus, Per diem, first class catering and massages and other bs at shows, paid tech, nice hotel rooms, new gear and cases, private flights..opportunity to use this clout for paid endorsements, clinics, health insurance for spouse/kids...sign me up. Jay Weinberg couldn't swing it because he grew up rich. No way could he hang slumming it with Madball in Europe seeing them going to brothels and doing blow. He couldn't hang in a bus with the 4 against me guys, a TM, sound guy, video person, two techs, he bitched and moaned about being in one bus and Laura called him out. Dude's never toured in a van. Jay agreed he wouldn't get merch $ or points but when he eventually did...he got sacked from SK

anonymous 63 days ago

^gay guy who thinks he's a businessman