NewsAugust 22, 2023 8:07 PM ET21,620 views

Blackbraid's clash with Midgardsblot security: Video emerges offering more perspective

Blackbraid

Dylan Tarre

Over the weekend there was controversy surrounding the band Blackbraid and their experience at the Midgardsblot festival. The dispute occurred a day after Blackbraid's headline performance at the festival on Friday night, and before a planned flue set by vocalist Sgah'gahsowáh (Jon Krieger) at the festival bonfire on Saturday.

The incident revolves around claims of discrimination against the band members by festival security. These allegations prompted an emotional response from both Blackbraid and their fans, leading to a flurry of online posts. As screenshots and videos have been shared online, things became clearer as to what happened, and the band later apologized for "the spitting situation" while agreeing that "the situation was handled poorly on all sides."

Initially, the band arrived at the festival enjoying the atmosphere, stating:

Midgardsblot we have arrived! Day one was already such a beautiful experience and the hospitality here has been amazing. We have already had the pleasure of meeting a lot of blackbraid fans. We play tomorrow night, headlining the kaupanger stage, and couldn't be more excited. See you there!

The next day, the band was grateful for the opportunity and promised to be back, saying:

Midgardsblot! Last night was beautiful, it has truly been an honor. We hope you enjoyed yourselves as much as we did, we love you Norway and we shall definitely return!

At some point later in the evening, before the vocalist's special flute set at the bonfire, things took a turn, as the band members began making public statements of discrimination and racism.

The crux of the band's issue with security was summed up in a comment made by the official Blackbraid Instagram account:

They mistook me for another brown person at the festival that they didn't like, that's the whole issue

All the guards see is a brown guy with long black hair and they want them gone. I posted exactly what happened, there's no way I could be any clearer. Racial profiling [a]t it's finest on behalf of the security staff

Blackbraid's guitarist shared on his now-private Instagram account:

F*CK MIDGARDSBLOT RACISCT F*CKS

As much as I was enjoying my experience towards the end they decided to show their true colors. Remember you wanted us here. Tag them and let my voice be heard.

The fans and everyone attending have been lovely but the production and security have been harassing me this all night so f*ck them. Apparently laying down is a crime. I was kicked out for "sleeping" on a hill. They can f*ck off for all I care. I will never play this festival again.

Blackbraid Instagram

Some tense words were shared by the guitarist with the festival organizers:

F*ck the coward of Midgardsblot who would not show their face so we can have direct communication about the events that transpired f*ck you!

The Blackbraid member shared further:

If you're looking for an "explantation" you can seriously f*ck off just know that you you don't understand and will probably never understand what it feels like to be discriminated

I am so pissed off if you wanna f*ck with me white people do better

However, the situation's complexity emerged as further details were examined, as a video of interactions between the band and security revealed a dialogue that suggested a more nuanced scenario. Accusations of racial profiling were countered by security voicing concerns involving public intoxication and Norwegian policies about sleeping in concert areas. The security guard also mentions the incident where a band member spat on the head of security personnel, further adding to the boiling point that led to the band's removal.

@lambgoatdotcom

Blackbraid confront security at Midgardsblot in Norway

♬ original sound - Lambgoat

After everything was said and done, the band is not willing to overlook the discrimination they faced, and the security team at Midgardsblot stood by their policies for public intoxication and sleeping on festival grounds. Poor communication seems to have led to a bad situation all around, and the band ultimately apologized for their actions.

"I apologize for my behavior in the situation, especially the spitting situation, and to the fans who have been upset by the situation, and to the festival staff who tried to handle the situation with security before it got out of hand. I was livid with the treatment we were receiving, and did not handle myself in a responsible way whatsoever. I let my anger get the best of me and my actions were out of line. We are grateful for any opportunity to play in Norway and hope to return one day under different circumstances."

Read the full quote and apology from Blackbraid here.

anonymous 337 days ago

"a flurry of online posts" 🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑

Donal trump goo borgar

anonymous 337 days ago

Someone please explain the goo thing

NorthFromHere 337 days ago

Good god I hate this band now. Shut the hell up.

anonymous 337 days ago

Band still rips, f*ck security in general. Failed cops on a power trip.

anonymous 337 days ago

I'm famous for my flute solos. My solos are my trademark.

anonymous 337 days ago

Race card - ✅, acting like self important Americans abroad - ✅, grown man spitting in another grown man's face - ✅ … this band just went from being one of the coolest and most unique bands in BM to being a total joke full of crybaby b*tches.

Based Mike-Goo

anonymous 337 days ago

After reading this I'm almost certain the special flute set was going to be with a skin flute.

anonymous 337 days ago

Band sucks. They are just trying to garner some free PR for their upcoming IS tour. f*ck em. Follow the rules brah- if you don't there are consequences and you can't blame it on racism. No f*cktard- you have didn't do the right thing and now deal with it.

anonymous 337 days ago

Way to not be a drunk indian stereotype lmao

Should*

anonymous 337 days ago

f*ck you Norwegians. You weren't there. But if at a festival everybody drinking then the browns get told too drunk. I'd think something too. I believe it was Hellhammer(drummer) who said it best. Norway us for white peoples only

anonymous 337 days ago

And Jon is Mexican not Mohawk or any US Native he has pretended to be. So many lies

anonymous 337 days ago

We all know this was Norway's attempt to silence the band that had upstaged them for so many years.

anonymous 337 days ago

This band isn't nearly as big as they think they are.

anonymous 337 days ago

Hahaha. This reminds me all of a joke it goes like. So I have this Norwegian friend

So many deleted comments

anonymous 337 days ago

The deleted posts were Norwegians. They don't like the black letters

anonymous 337 days ago

The only reason they played was because they supplied the fireworks

anonymous 337 days ago

And they gave the band free turns with your mom

anonymous 337 days ago

Norway finally taking the p*ss out of the latest one-trick hipster loser making a style of music they created into something it should be. Good on them. F*ck Blackbraid and their overdramatic weeping.

anonymous 337 days ago

Norway finally taking the p*ss out of the latest one-trick hipster loser making a style of music they created into something it shouldn't be. Good on them. F*ck Blackbraid and their overdramatic weeping.

anonymous 337 days ago

The guy who posted here 👆🏻. f*cks sheep. I have pictures

anonymous 337 days ago

The guy who posted above 👆🏻. f*cks sheep. I have pictures

Bitch Hawk

RaceBraid

anonymous 337 days ago

Bitch hawk? Wow. Some more of your mom's pet names?

False Black Metal band.

anonymous 337 days ago

Bitch Hawk here. Stay out of my business and my biznazz.

rick____tocchet 337 days ago

Ron Burgundy > Blackbraid

anonymous 337 days ago

Bitch hawk. Talk like a man. Biznass. Bm hipster. Street lights on. Better go back to mommy

anonymous 337 days ago

Dick_tochet. I saw what you did there. That was very creative

White people do better

anonymous 337 days ago

Of course the do. No one is disputing that

anonymous 337 days ago

So many self hating bitch boys in here. Go pave something.

anonymous 337 days ago

I know. Bitches slagging a good band. They should stick to their Justin Bieber. Leave blackbraid to the MEN to enjoy the music

anonymous 337 days ago

Libtards being libtards. Just mock them, have a chuckle and move on. Insignificůnts. Oxygen thieves. Worthless scum.

anonymous 337 days ago

Reading the comments and enjoying some Indian corn

anonymous 337 days ago

I know. We all should let blackbraid be blackbraid. Thanks to the bitch who posted above👆🏻

Whitebraid>

Omg. That was genius. Time for bed little one 👆🏻

anonymous 337 days ago

Kat Moss here. Glad I'm not an industry plant like this band.

Yeah. You don't even have a band 😂😂😂

anonymous 337 days ago

Their music is complete shit and so are their attitudes and level of intelligence. It is clearly proven in recordings.

anonymous 337 days ago

I'm the three-legged legend, from north to south, I slapped your mom and came in her mouth!

Wow took ya 3 days to come up with that? 👆🏻

anonymous 337 days ago

Their music is shit. Then I'd love to hear yours. Please drop a link. Enlighten us

I already did.

anonymous 337 days ago

^post your Gmail or meet me in Hoboken or outside the world trade stop any morning pussy.

anonymous 337 days ago

Meet you. Why do you can try to suck my dick. I'd f*ck you up little boy. Go home to mommy

anonymous 337 days ago

It goes *dunnadunnadunnadunnadunna* "AAHHHHHHH" and then *bambambambambambambam* "EEEEEEEEEEEEEAAHHHHH" then *blnblnblnblnblnblnbln* "UGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH" You know, the good stuff!

anonymous 337 days ago

Hoboken 😂😂😂. Only Damn queers come from New Jersey. Go back to Bon Jovi lil man. More your speed

anonymous 337 days ago

Goo complain about your pipeline ^

Your momma loved my pipeline. It went deep 👆🏻

anonymous 337 days ago

anonymous 2 hours ago They may be Indians. But they rock harder than your mom sucking cock for coke. And f*ck Vikings. They weren't know for their intelligence. Why they all got wiped out. Not smart enough to self preserve ^ pretty sure you're trolling, but most Vikings were forcibly converted to christianity just like Indians. If they wouldn't convert, they were slaughtered. Also the Vikings invaded western Europe and explored parts of Eastern and Southern Europe your little mind couldn't conceive anyway

Bitch Hawk #1

anonymous 337 days ago

It really is an American thing. Regardless of what I did, if don't like the results and I'm non-white... it's racism. If that is you mentally, it's much worse. Very few give a f*ck what you are not responsible for. And those that do, you make up for it with the attention of the people that like you because of your brand.

anonymous 337 days ago

hahahaha gay. mega gay. countdown to the breakup

anonymous 337 days ago

"the situation was handled poorly on all sides." Not really lol Looks like the band is the only one to blame here. Bunch of assholes being drunk and disrespectful. And of course, being american they don't want to deal with any consequences, so they'll just pull the race card.

They should blow up the sector 7 reactor in Midgar

anonymous 337 days ago

"White people do better" No, I don't think I will. I'm going to do worse. *Pulls out calculator

anonymous 337 days ago

Breaking rules, being a drunk nuisance in public, spitting in the faces of security. "THEY'RE RACISTS!" Well even if they are/were at this point, you don't look very good either. :/

anonymous 337 days ago

You gotta hand it to him, it takes balls to build your entire career off of being Native, and calling anybody who dislikes you a racist colonizer - while being a white dude from New York

anonymous 337 days ago

"I am so pissed off if you wanna f*ck with me white people do better" This band was backed hard til they started in with this victimhood nonsense. Now we see who the real racist is here.

anonymous 337 days ago

Lol these idiots get flown to play a festival in one of the more left-leaning countries out there, act like drunken shitheads, then play the race card when politely told by security to knock it off. f*ck these dudes, I'm from NY and never heard of this band until websites started slobbering on their overrated music within the last year or two.

rick____tocchet 337 days ago

We should have known how much of wannabe entitled assholes this band is from the start. When they first came out to the scene they threw the "Native American" card out hard as fvvvck and with every press release they ever done. We can see now why they did that.

anonymous 337 days ago

The US has a long history of people in showbiz claiming they are Native in order to appear more exotic and interesting, these guys are just the metal iteration of it.

anonymous 337 days ago

Its racist racist racist. Oh theres video and I spit on someone. We all make mistakes. f*ck outta here.

anonymous 337 days ago

Sitting in my wigwam playing my recorder doot doot aloot

anonymous 337 days ago

This comment section is hilarious. all your anonymous posting ... bunch of chickenhawks

anonymous 337 days ago

"Hey all you f*cktards out they saying he's Mexican not native, 90% of Mexicans are of native ancestry. Less than 10% of Mexico is "pure Spanish". I'm Mexican and I'm 79% according to my genetics test." Do you pretend to be Mohawk too? Jesus, white people are stupid.

rick____tocchet 337 days ago

Im polish and my family came to the states in 1908 to avoid German rule. Yet I am labeled a slave owner, privileged and should pay reperations to the black community. Makes sense in Clown World America. f*ck labels, be a good person and stop f*cking crying about everything you god damn idiots!!

anonymous 337 days ago

Lmao how does a Mexican dude cosplaying Mohawk mean white people are stupid loooool

Tour with Zulu

NorthFromHere 337 days ago

Agalloch has reunited to stop Blackbraid's colonizing of their sound.

anonymous 337 days ago

f*ck all these white devils. You guys think you can do whatever the f*ck you want to do.

anonymous 337 days ago

You got wasted and passed out on a 1300 year old burial mound, you stereotypical f*ck! Take your half-assed weak attempt at black metal home with you. No grown man spits on another man. That shit is for women and cowards.

anonymous 337 days ago

Spitting is pretty gross and actually can be dangerous. Medical and responders have to wash or flush out skin affected areas and change out that clothing, bathe right away. It's a huge risk. That kind of stuff is really assault when it comes right down to it… regardless of how one feels about how frustrated they might have been in their situation, it's not an excuse to harm people.

anonymous 337 days ago

" White people... Jesus f*ck you are dumb, Ojibwe and Lakota people reached out to him after Midgardsblot to tell him he was out of line and he blocked and deleted them all. Dude is as Native as Liz Warren, and his grift has been exposed" Where's this at? I wanna know so I can laugh ^^^ Midgardsblot fb group has screenshots upon screenshots of ppl going back and forth with John and him being a drama queen, and several (actual) Natives posted there too

anonymous 337 days ago

Why are we not talking about the fact that a grown man calls himself Sgah'gahsowáh?

anonymous 336 days ago

A lot of victims of victimhood on here

anonymous 336 days ago

^ like you, "oppressed" sky dad lover

anonymous 336 days ago

Victimhood culture is a ruin.

anonymous 336 days ago

When I want to know what constitutes being an "actual native", I'm definitely checking with the anonymous posters on this site.

anonymous 336 days ago

What a buncha f*ckin' dorks

Pat_Fenis 336 days ago

Boy I hope someone cancels these drama queens for crying wolf and playing the victims up until actual footage showing their obnoxiousness pops up. Toxic attitude to have in a world where shit like this is too easy to abuse, making it harder for actual victims to be taken seriously. f*ck these pathetic pricks.

anonymous 336 days ago

Still standing with BLACKBRAID racists in the comments eat shit!!

anonymous 336 days ago

" Still standing with BLACKBRAID racists in the comments eat shit!!" LOOOL is this the same psycho women who has been defending him everywhere online?

anonymous 336 days ago

Nobody would have given a shit about another mediocre black metal band made up of the usual, so pretending to be from the Adirondaks when the dude is from Monterrey MX was a very funny move.

anonymous 336 days ago

Pan-Amerikan Native Front do this better.

^will be deleted shortly

anonymous 336 days ago

Dirt bags running this site delete comments. This band sucks and they're a bunch of cosplay dirt worshippers.

anonymous 336 days ago

Seriously, all the white people in these comments casting aspersions need to stfu. You will never know what it's like to be one of a handful of POC in all-white spaces. At least the guy owned up to his bad temper. No one's perfect.

anonymous 336 days ago

A bunch of sad kids with substance problems making a fool out of themselves. Taking to social media like a high school brat. The music is trash, the people are trash. Do better culeros.

anonymous 335 days ago