NewsSeptember 14, 2022 2:37 PM ET9,732 views

The Black Dahlia Murder announce new line up, will play tribute show

Brian Eschbach will take over as frontman and Ryan Knight returns on guitar

the black dahlia murder

Katie Lewellyn

To honor the life and legacy of late vocalist Trevor Scott Strnad, The Black Dahlia Murder will perform in Detroit, Michigan on Oct. 28. As a result of vacating the guitar role, founding guitarist Brian Eschbach will now take on the role of frontman, allowing Ryan Knight to return. Ryan spent almost a decade in the band previously from 2008-2016, being featured on four of the band's previous releases.

Darkest Hour and Plague Years will join the band at Saint Andrew's Hall for the show.

Trevor Strnad passed away earlier this year on May 11th.

Each band member spoke exclusively with Decibel about the tragic loss and walked fans through the internal debate on whether The Black Dahlia Murder should continue.

New vocalist Brian Eschbach elaborated:

"We spent many days thinking things like, 'Is this over?' None of us wanted it to be over. We still feel like there is a lot left to do. I know Trevor would keep this band going if I went down a deep, dark path and weren't here. It's bigger than us.

When we finally started talking about it, we thought, 'Let's remake it from within and see if Ryan wants to return. And I'll take a crack on the vocals and see how it goes.' I can't go out there and do Trevor's voice or try to be him. I can only execute the music of the Black Dahlia Murder with respect and try to do it the most justice I can. I've heard Trevor perform more than anyone else alive."

Returning guitarist Ryan Knight also spoke of him coming back to the band:

"The time I've spent with this band is the best time I've ever had. Being away has given me a lot of time to reflect, and it always occurred to me that being in BDM is the best use of my time. I've thought a lot about the band while I was away and realized how much value this band has. I almost feel like I let some opportunities slip, being away from the band. So, it feels great to be back and like everything has come full circle. I've realized how much I love being in this band."

The new full band line up is as followed:
Brian Eschbach - vocals
Brandon Ellis - guitar
Ryan Knight - guitar
Max Lavelle - bass
Alan Cassidy - drums

Information on the band's first show back on October 28 can be found here.

10/28 Detroit, MI @ Saint Andrews Hall

Search for tours coming to your city here.

anonymous 9/14/2022 12:06:15 PM

hell yes, best dudes who love metal. RIP TREV

anonymous 9/14/2022 12:25:13 PM

Hey Parkway Drive, EAT SHIT.

anonymous 9/14/2022 12:26:13 PM

f*cking wonderful news

anonymous 9/14/2022 12:34:30 PM

^ you are f*cking brilliant. Also, f*ck yea to the serpent

anonymous 9/14/2022 12:35:26 PM

They pulled a GWAR. It's their right I guess, start from scratch with a new name is pointless.

anonymous 9/14/2022 12:37:02 PM

cool. does anyone know who's playing in Darkest Hour any more?

anonymous 9/14/2022 12:46:33 PM

I'll be honest...this is not gay.

anonymous 9/14/2022 1:16:10 PM

Glad they're carrying on. RIP Trevor

anonymous 9/14/2022 1:28:32 PM

BigDog 9/14/2022 1:34:40 PM

Man, this is great news. This show is going to be a special one, definitely won't be missing it. RIP Trevor.

BigDog 9/14/2022 1:36:58 PM

Also, interested to see what these guys do with two lead guitarists. Hopefully Brian will continue to write a bulk of the music, but the solos on the new stuff could be pretty serious with this lineup.

anonymous 9/14/2022 1:50:04 PM

Diablito 21er should do vocals since he is such an Alpha Dwarf

anonymous 9/14/2022 1:51:17 PM

great move to put Brian on vocals. It makes perfect sense. glad to see this

anonymous 9/14/2022 2:05:16 PM

Shitty statement from Brian. Spent many "days" thinking aboht it and Trevor would go on without me so whatever.

anonymous 9/14/2022 2:14:52 PM

If you cared so much about your dear Trevor you wouldn't have let him fall into the arms of a black widow. Trevor cannot be replaced. You're a fool if you think the "band" will be able to survive Trevor's passing.

anonymous 9/14/2022 2:20:43 PM

REVENGE ON PARKWAY DRIVE. GET THEM!!!

anonymous 9/14/2022 2:30:19 PM

anonymous 9/14/2022 2:36:38 PM

blaming Parkway Drive for the death of Trevor is the most insane f*ckin' leap i've ever heard in my life No they did it it's there fault and I know it and I BLAME them. I BLAME THEM. The police investigation is already underway and the black dahlia are already recovering and Trevor is smiling. Take that you Bigot!

anonymous 9/14/2022 2:39:01 PM

brain worms for everyone

anonymous 9/14/2022 2:48:40 PM

nervous and horny

anonymous 9/14/2022 2:50:54 PM

I am going to go and wear my limited edition Lambgoat t-shirt so that everyone knows I am a dumb loser who wastes their time on this site arguing with 14-year-olds from the deep south who think hardcore is a conservative movement.

anonymous 9/14/2022 2:57:57 PM

Who are the idiots on the lambgoat shirt?

lurkcity 9/14/2022 3:09:00 PM

unearth

anonymous 9/14/2022 3:15:32 PM

darkest hour should headline even if it's a scab band. also park way drive killing with a smile is better than any release in tbdm catalog

anonymous 9/14/2022 3:15:46 PM

nailed it ^

anonymous 9/14/2022 3:18:58 PM

RIP Trevor and RIP David Andersson (Soilwork)

shitinyourhand 9/14/2022 3:23:37 PM

This rules! Good decision Brian. I like the lineup too!

anonymous 9/14/2022 4:00:07 PM

anonymous 9/14/2022 4:01:28 PM

They pulled a suicide silence on trev, sucks ur friends can just replace you and continue

anonymous 9/14/2022 4:17:20 PM

Seriously lol at the parkway drive stuff, y'all are f*ckin cracked in a bad way

anonymous 9/14/2022 5:00:08 PM

^ IF true then I must agree. However I don't believe he killed himself. I think his girlfriend had something to do with it. Not sure why nobody is even questioning this sketchy OnlyFans chick. ^^^^^^ Thank you. We have not been told the truth.

anonymous 9/14/2022 5:04:51 PM

Love many of Brian's tunes until he started letting the guitar wankers add ideas. I guess this is as good an idea to contiue on as any assuming conintuing on is a good idea. One suggestion I have is Big Bri better stop smoking and start running. Trev was no athlete but he moved around quite a bit in stage. When I saw them live last september Bri seemed like his feet were stapled to the stage.

anonymous 9/14/2022 5:13:28 PM

Look up @itsthebloodybaroness on Instagram. That was Trevor's girlfriend. How has his band and family believed her story that she "found him unresponsive". I'm convinced she killed him. How about looking into that one Brian instead of trying to become a frontman, which you will surely fail miserably at.

anonymous 9/14/2022 5:19:50 PM

Why do jealous girlfriends of successful metal musicians insist on "suiciding" their boyfriends and husbands?

anonymous 9/14/2022 6:19:24 PM

Great idea for a tribute show, but this lineup isn't gonna work

anonymous 9/14/2022 7:01:16 PM

anonymous 9/14/2022 7:14:32 PM

Oli Herbert's wife killed Trevor too.

anonymous 9/14/2022 7:30:46 PM

Trevor "hung" himself

anonymous 9/14/2022 7:53:55 PM

anonymous 6 hours ago DH is still Mike De Schleibaum and John Henry. Your guess on the other dudes is as good as mine. 🤷🏽‍♂️ Good to know schleuterbomb is still goin strong its basically his solo project at this point

anonymous 9/14/2022 7:54:03 PM

That slut killed him because she was jealous all her onlyfans subs were just to see Trevor's dick and not her shit tits

anonymous 9/14/2022 7:58:52 PM

Booty smell bad do

anonymous 9/14/2022 8:23:06 PM

Remember when I said I wasn't gay? Me neither. I'm gay.

anonymous 9/14/2022 8:30:03 PM

Winston McCall is not stoked.

shitinyourhand 9/14/2022 8:37:49 PM

I like to think the cops ruled out foul play. I honestly don't know shit about anything. Either way, it's not the rest of the band's fault this happened. Do yer stuff BDM. Rip Trevor

anonymous 9/14/2022 8:43:53 PM

Ngl, I kinda want to know exactly how he died.

anonymous 9/15/2022 4:11:49 AM

anonymous 9/15/2022 4:12:40 AM

Parkway Drive - Killing With A Tour

anonymous 9/15/2022 6:09:41 AM

anonymous 1 hour ago She's one ugly broad too. Her face looks like a droopy NFT monkey. The fact she succeeded in dragging him into her dark OF world was a way to control and sabotage his career, she clearly didn't have his best interests in mind. Lesson to successful men...don't date. *You cannot trust a female EVER.-even if you're married to the \/\/retch.*just like the semi successful Earth Crisis record called "*gonorrhea's Season ends*"when the cd ends I ALWAYS "clap". Then, play it all over again.

anonymous 9/15/2022 8:31:02 AM

Trevor died so Parkway Drive could prepare their sellout campaign. Now that's tragic.

anonymous 9/15/2022 9:15:10 AM

anonymous 14 hours ago I would like to be a fly on the wall when they cross paths with the murderous Parkway Drive backstage at some festival in the coming years yall are insane on this site

anonymous 9/15/2022 9:43:33 AM

This is going to f*cking rip...Stoked they decided to carry on. Heavy support for these dudes, RIP Trevor

anonymous 9/15/2022 10:27:29 AM

it's "there" fault.-y'all sages are grammatically challenged, did you not learn anything in grade school? I learned how to bang your mothers out before you got home from school and how to dodge alimony payments in the process. your father loves you, kids.

anonymous 9/15/2022 10:57:41 AM

Someone post a link to his gf's OF

anonymous 9/15/2022 11:43:55 AM

Coward slut deleted her onlyfans

anonymous 9/15/2022 12:42:59 PM

anonymous 57 minutes ago Coward slut deleted her onlyfans Wow...admission of guilt much? Why is nobody investigating this human fleshlight?

anonymous 9/15/2022 1:01:51 PM

dIsAbLe tHe cOMmenTs

anonymous 9/15/2022 1:13:29 PM

Why oh why can't this band die already?

anonymous 9/15/2022 6:13:11 PM

FBI here, launching an official investigation right now thanks to these comments

anonymous 9/15/2022 6:15:13 PM

anonymous 9/15/2022 6:20:58 PM

Small dick energy.

anonymous 9/15/2022 6:27:18 PM

Any guy in 2022 who would pay $1 to see a female show her tits/ass/vag is the ultimate loser. Man up. Grow some balls. Trump 2024.

anonymous 9/15/2022 9:07:06 PM

anonymous 2 hours ago When Trevor went viral for f*cking on camera she posted a huge rant on her instagram about how f*cked it was that all the articles were about him and how gross it was. Like what did you exepct you f*cking moron. Deleted it all within hours. I definitely suspect they had a big fight that somehow kicked off Trevor's decision to leave the earth or at least kicked off a series of events that lead to his demise Wow, that's facked. What an attention addicted whore like most chicks these days. Imagine an OG chick being jealous of Trevor. His reputation was built on talent and integrity unlike hers. He should have never sunk to her level. Sad stuff

anonymous 9/15/2022 9:07:32 PM

*OF chick

BigDog 9/16/2022 10:09:39 PM

lol @ the chodes trying to resell tickets to this show for over a thousand dollars. Only person I am paying that much to see is Kyriakos Grizzly.

anonymous 9/20/2022 5:41:50 AM

Wow these clowns have nothing else going for them in life so gotta keep the band going even after their frontman kills himself. Classy guys, I'm sure Trevor would be stoked he was replaced so easily.

anonymous 9/23/2022 4:35:06 AM

I knew Trevor in highschool/college. He was a good dude and hilarious. He was a good writer and had a way with words. I would not go too hard on the band for their statement. It was a clunky way of communicating their intent, but not everyone is an English major. They built their lives around music and this band. Imagine having to grieve for your friend and your life's work at the same time. When your life is upended in a moment, clunky language and the desire to carry on should not be construed as bad intent.

anonymous 9/23/2022 8:02:51 AM

*^* THANKS, DOCTOR PHIL. Speaking of Phillip,I'm willing to wager his wife "Robin" is dynamite in bed.

anonymous 232 days ago

She's found her next victim.