NewsFebruary 10, 2022 12:03 PM ET1,971 views

High On Fire's Matt Pike releases video for 'Land' ft. Mastodon's Brent Hinds

Official press release:

From rewriting the hard rock rulebook with his Grammy award-winning trio, High on Fire, to reverse engineering doom metal with his genre-defining trio Sleep, Matt Pike has channeled his natural talents and chiseled a steely path straight to the heart of modern-day metal's molten core. On February 18, Pike will release his debut solo LP, Pike vs. the Automaton, via MNRK Heavy. Pre-orders are live at PikeVstheAutomaton.com.

Today, Pike releases a video for the new song "Land" which he describes as, "totally different, like an old blues song." The track and clip each feature Mastodon guitarist Brent Hinds, an old pal of Pike's. See and hear "Land" now at this location:

"'Land' was written after I had just come home from a tour. It's like an old blues song. I was thinking of it as like a bunch of old dudes in a subway doing a doo-wop thing," offers Pike. "It has the feel of a two-step like my Mom used to dance to, like Country Western. It's totally about depression and leading a hard life. Later, I was playing the song for Brent Hinds from Mastodon who had come out to Portland to jam with me and he laid down this smokin'-ass Billy Gibbons kind of solo! I did one solo and then he did his solo and I'm like, 'You're a dick,' (laughs). The bass player from Brent's other band West End Motel, Steve McPeeks, played some stand-up bass – both plucking and with a bow – and it really brought out this depth to the song. I've never written a song like that and recorded it and made it as cool as it is. It's totally different."

anonymous 189 days ago

dudes names wesley are stoked

anonymous 189 days ago

"rewriting the hard rock rulebook" Lol. I dig High on Fire; I dig Sleep; I dig Matt Pike, but christ, these press releases are like designed to elicit the opposite response.

anonymous 189 days ago

if this mostadon guy keeps it up he could have his Every Time I Die moment.

evil_hero 189 days ago

these aging heavy music icons bemoaning their empty IRAs and 401ks

you know who has a full 401k and IRA? Hardcore 1%er Scott Vogel

anonymous 189 days ago

All set listening to anything from these junkies.

Misery signals is better

anonymous 189 days ago

Is Mastodon the band that could have been as big as Everytime I Die after the last record?

anonymous 189 days ago

Pikes missing toe, Jastas missing thumb, and the drummer of Def Leppard missing arm should start a band.

anonymous 189 days ago

Careful boys…gazpacho police are coming for us. Everyone act cool

anonymous 189 days ago

these two bands are the absolute peak of "how the fck are they popular" bands

Dudes who regret having 00 gauge earplugs are stoked

anonymous 189 days ago

anonymous 3 hours ago Should have read "Ft. Terror's Scott Vogel" that is how you get some stream counts. and vfw sales. Can they afford him?

anonymous 189 days ago

This was the same first paragraph from his last press release; like word for word lol

anonymous 189 days ago

ETID already reached this level long ago

Mastodon level.

anonymous 188 days ago

Empty IPAs is more like it

anonymous 188 days ago

Why do all heavy rock guys get near the age of 50 and then all of a sudden they start wearing "LONE DUSTY TRAVELER" clothing and making this watered down Tom Waits/Nick Cave nonsense? Why is it such strong catnip to these dudes?

anonymous 188 days ago

Booking agent Matt Pike here, I am sick and tired of getting confused with this guy that can't afford a shirt. Whatever, I have to get back to booking this Bane farewell tour.