NewsDecember 21, 2021 11:13 AM ET8,087 views

New Found Glory's Chad Gilbert undergoes surgery to remove cancerous tumor

Chad Gilbert, longtime guitarist of New Found Glory and former vocalist of Shai Hulud, has revealed that he has spend the last two weeks in the hospital.

After being found unresponsive (and close to death) at home by his spouse, Gilbert was subsequently diagnosed with a rare (and in his case, malignant) adrenal tumor. The 40-year-old musician underwent surgery to remove the tumor last week and is currently recovering.

Gilbert shared the following account via Instagram:

For the last 14 days I've been living in the hospital having cancer removed. Here's the timeline of my unexpected journey:

On December 5th, my wife found me unresponsive in bed. I'd been waking up drenched in sweat the last few days and we thought I was sick. Not being able to wake me, she called 911 and performed CPR and mouth to mouth. Apparently I was doing something called “agonal breathing” and was minutes from death. I woke up with 7 paramedics surrounding my bed. I was so confused. My blood sugar somehow dropped to 20 and if my wife hadn't found me, I would've fallen into a coma or died. The paramedics took me to the ER in an ambulance. They couldn't figure out why my blood sugar kept dropping or why my blood pressure kept skyrocketing, even with blood pressure medication in my system. I was hooked up to two different drips I couldn't be separated from.

The next day, an amazing endocrinologist visited me and asked a bunch of questions about my health. It honestly felt like she was an angel from heaven. She told me based on all my symptoms that I have a very rare tumor called a Pheochromocytoma! It's a tumor that grows on your adrenal gland and messes up all of your hormones. It was eating all my glucose, changing my hormones, and raising my blood pressure. I couldn't survive without IVs until this tumor was removed.

12/6 I received a CT scan which showed some alarming news. My tumor was malignant and had grown from my adrenal gland onto my liver. It was huge. Which made my Pheochromocytoma even more rare since they usually are benign.

12/8, three days since my amazing wife saved me from dying in bed. I was transported to a major hospital and moved into the ICU. I got an MRI which showed that the tumor was in fact one growth and had not spread to other parts of my body. Now that my miracle doctor, cancer doctor, and incredible surgeon had all the info they needed, they scheduled my surgery for Monday, 12/13.

Now it's 4 days until surgery. This is when so much personal growth occurred. Looking back on the timing of all of this, the incredible people put in my life to save me, the hospital staff whom I have the highest respect for, the way they took care of me while caring for an entire intensive care unit… I just can't believe the strength these nurses have.

My wife Lisa and my mom were the driving forces of my positivity. The only cure for a pheochromocytoma is surgery, one of my worst fears. But if surgery went well, all the glucose consumption, high blood pressure, and any other hormonal changes would immediately go away. When I got to pre-op, the surgeon drew the size of the tumor on a dry erase board to clarify how intense, large and dangerous my surgery was gonna be. But still reassured us he's done many way more difficult. So grateful for him! The surgery was predicted to be 4 and a half hours but he finished it in two. The tumor wasn't attached to anything tricky so they basically cut it out and peeled it off. But man this scar is insanely big. I couldn't grasp how large the tumor was until now. I was sedated and drugged up and don't remember anything from surgery day. My surgeon came in the next morning and let us know he got it all out!! Now we just needed the pathology report to make sure no cancer got in the lymphnodes. The joy and excitement from all the nurses and and doctors involved was super emotional. I didn't have a lot of family and friends around since it all happened so fast. But the hospital staff became that extra support and family, giving me cards and little gifts.

The night of the 15th I was moved from the ICU to the Cancer Center. There I recovered from surgery! I'll know about future treatments in a few weeks but for now I'm able to come home!

It's Sunday, December 19th. Yesterday was the first time I got to smell fresh air since December 5th. I'm home with my wife and baby and so thankful to be alive!

Related Lambgoat Video content:

rick_tocchet 12/21/2021 8:30:13 AM

Damn crazy shit. Glad the sagea is still alive. The Shai Hulud album he is on is more than solid.

Portslob 12/21/2021 8:41:06 AM

That's f*cking scary. Best of luck dude

anonymous 12/21/2021 8:53:20 AM

Glad he's okay

anonymous 12/21/2021 8:55:22 AM

Wow. Blood Ill tempered is the best album of all time .

anonymous 12/21/2021 8:56:25 AM

Can someone send him Hayley williams nude to bring him back to life?

anonymous 12/21/2021 8:58:15 AM

Edge watch

anonymous 12/21/2021 9:03:35 AM

Not a fan of NFG or dudes named Chad but get well soon man.

anonymous 12/21/2021 9:10:25 AM

Glad to hear here's ok!

evil_hero 12/21/2021 9:19:08 AM

his wife is fine af. if he had died, i would have offered her the most tender, loving support a man could offer

anonymous 12/21/2021 9:38:48 AM

Good news for once.

anonymous 12/21/2021 9:41:11 AM

Shai Hulud! Also brought the crunch and breakdowns to NFG. Feel better soon!

anonymous 12/21/2021 9:44:14 AM

How long until he cheats on this wife too?

anonymous 12/21/2021 9:45:42 AM

Hearts once nourished is one of the best HxC albums ever. Get well soon chad!

anonymous 12/21/2021 10:04:46 AM

wondering what's eating Gilbert Grape?

anonymous 12/21/2021 10:05:05 AM

Get loose by the salads plays in the background

anonymous 12/21/2021 10:10:02 AM

Too long didn't read.

anonymous 12/21/2021 10:12:43 AM

When you get that hospital bill you're gonna wish it killed you

_d0thack_ 12/21/2021 10:32:59 AM

Damn man. Stay strong.

anonymous 12/21/2021 10:36:09 AM

Chad Gilbert undergoes surgery to remove cancerous tumor I thought this was a roundabout way of saying he was finally getting rid of Hayley. Shows how behind the times I am.

anonymous 12/21/2021 10:51:23 AM

anonymous 12/21/2021 11:33:01 AM

Definitely not reading all that. Wish the man well though.

anonymous 12/21/2021 12:01:07 PM

anonymous 1 hour ago Cheated on wife Sherri Dupree with underage Hayley williams, who was dating her guitarist Josh and broke up the original Paramore lineup over it. Got caught cheating on Hayley williams with her best friend/makeup artist and she divorced him. Then marries another girl from a weirdo christian "family band" like Eisley. _ Yea and no one cares . Who's perfect? I wish him well.

anonymous 12/21/2021 1:25:45 PM

anonymous 1 hour ago Cheated on wife Sherri Dupree with underage Hayley williams, who was dating her guitarist Josh and broke up the original Paramore lineup over it. Got caught cheating on Hayley williams with her best friend/makeup artist and she divorced him. Then marries another girl from a weirdo christian "family band" like Eisley Imagine knowing and keeping tabs on a total stranger's smash tallies.

anonymous 12/21/2021 1:44:20 PM

It's All Downhill From Here.

anonymous 12/21/2021 1:57:16 PM

Wow thats f*cking terrifying to think about, on either end just passing out or finding your s/o unresponsive, but glad he was found before being potentially too late. Hope he's alright and recovers quickly.

anonymous 12/21/2021 2:39:50 PM

Gnarly situation, hope he heals up good and cancer f*cks off

anonymous 12/21/2021 3:42:21 PM

Remember the the time we realized thriller was our favorite song?

anonymous 12/21/2021 10:13:00 PM

Toby Mose defending him in the comments

anonymous 12/22/2021 9:07:22 AM

That's a literal nightmare. Glad he's on the mend

anonymous 12/22/2021 8:04:45 PM

"Drugged you" I thought he was captain straight edge. Poser

anonymous 12/22/2021 8:28:10 PM

I'm sure Madball's got his back

anonymous 12/23/2021 8:16:42 AM

Shai Hulud's Chad Gilbert undergoes surgery to remove cancerous tumor. Fixed it. Street cred restored. You're welcome.

anonymous 12/27/2021 4:17:13 PM

He will show his appreciation by cheating on his wife, just like Hayley.

anonymous 12/29/2021 6:56:11 AM

anonymous 1 day ago He will show his appreciation by cheating on his wife, just like Hayley. types the kid whose own right hand has a restraining order against himself for gratuitously using a chokehold upon their own P3n15. *that within tumor ill tempered*

anonymous 12/29/2021 7:42:45 AM

I AM CURIOUS TO KNOW -IF HE STILL POSSESS'S "A PROFOUND HATRED OF MANKIND?" STAY TRUE TO YOUR ROOTS, GILBERT GRAPE!-seriously though dude, get better/speedy recovery soon.