NewsJuly 26, 2019 5:24 PM ET6,888 views

Slaves return with new vocalist, new song

Official press release: Slaves have returned with the new single "Heavier." Watch the music video here: After much speculation on the future of Slaves following singer Jonny Craig's departure, the band has returned with new vocalist Matt McAndrew, formerly of NBC's The Voice. The new single "Heavier" is taken from their upcoming full length to be released later this year. With the new song, fans can hear the new direction in which Slaves are heading. Expect more news about upcoming Slaves music shortly. The accompanying video was directed by Orie McGuiness (New Years Day, Wage War). Along with the new single, the band has announced a limited edition shirt to raise funding for national addiction treatment programs. McAndrew states, "To me, 'Heavier' is about being trapped in a thought loop of worry, paranoia, and ultimately shame. I have a hard time letting my demons go and when they start affecting relationships, I really feel down on myself. It's like a physical weight. I never thought I'd be in another band. After all, being solo offers complete artistic control and freedom. It's only now that I've realized how lonely I've been by myself. Working with such a tight knit group is a blast, and meeting other bands that show such love for each other makes me feel accepted in a way that I haven't experienced before." Drummer Zack Baker says, "Our new single came together so quickly. We all collaborate extremely well with each other and we feel that is represented in this new track. The song itself has a dark lyrical vibe encompassing everything Slaves has been about since our debut. Having Matt around has been a great time; he meshed well with us from the first day we met him. His extensive song writing background as well as his all-around musical knowledge have been a huge asset in the studio. I know we're all excited for this new chapter of Slaves." Slaves is composed of drummer Zack Baker; guitarists Wes Richmond and Felipe Sanchez; bassist Colin Vieira; and new vocalist Matt McAndrew.

anonymous 7/26/2019 2:34:29 PM

"the band has returned with new vocalist Matt McAndrew, formerly of NBC's The Voice." Oh.... cool.

anonymous 7/26/2019 2:43:15 PM

No. No. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

anonymous 7/26/2019 2:50:23 PM

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

anonymous 7/26/2019 3:06:12 PM

Far better & more aggressive than all the derivative/breakdown/ baseball hat-on-sideways bandana tough guy midtempo trash considered to be hardcore these days. Actually has people in the band who can play their instruments too, good shit.

anonymous 7/26/2019 3:19:30 PM

Anyone know the size of Madi's feet? Asking for a friend.

anonymous 7/26/2019 3:50:40 PM

I'd have shame about being in this band, too.

anonymous 7/26/2019 4:11:31 PM

Madi and Meredith from VCTMs should have a battle to see who the biggest c*nt is in metal ire

anonymous 7/26/2019 4:12:08 PM

*metalcore

anonymous 7/26/2019 4:41:42 PM

NO COLLUSION, NO OBSTRUCTION!

anonymous 7/26/2019 4:49:19 PM

This is absolutely godawful. Band was shit to begin with but wow...this is just alarmingly bad

anonymous 7/26/2019 5:03:14 PM

Justin Biebercore?

anonymous 7/26/2019 5:05:25 PM

Griffith J here, Jonny Craig would care about this if he wasn't higher than 14 research monkeys right now.

anonymous 7/26/2019 5:15:08 PM

Panda express.

anonymous 7/26/2019 5:31:39 PM

That middget goon from torche who keeps staring at me from the bottom of page looks very punchable

anonymous 7/26/2019 6:44:46 PM

Mustache gay

anonymous 7/26/2019 7:04:13 PM

Is this an advert?

anonymous 7/26/2019 8:14:18 PM

I give this a tour and a half before he starts getting to many hjs behind the venue and the band gets jealous. what is the bands hair gel budget?

anonymous 7/26/2019 9:14:56 PM

God awful

anonymous 7/26/2019 9:19:53 PM

Cool fact: hand tattoos are a sign of failure

easyhateoven 7/26/2019 10:10:00 PM

Slaves on Dope >

anonymous 7/26/2019 10:46:42 PM

not metal not hardcore

anonymous 7/27/2019 1:44:08 AM

if i hear one more bad bitch and moan about their "personal demons" I'm gonna vomit

anonymous 7/27/2019 1:35:24 PM

The black kid on Twitter who said he "definitely trusted white people less" after say gay shit went down is not stoked.

anonymous 7/27/2019 2:40:12 PM

Jonny Craig is human trash.

anonymous 7/27/2019 4:56:12 PM

NO COLOUSION, NO OSTRUCION, TOTAL ECSONARATION!!

anonymous 7/28/2019 11:09:01 AM

Remember when la guns got the chick singer from one of these shows

anonymous 7/29/2019 5:22:24 AM

Yet another band having to find their way in the aftermath of Craig ruining their reputations.

anonymous 8/15/2019 11:20:32 PM

I think it's important to set aside subjectivity when it comes to this change. Objectively, I think that Matt McAndrew sounds incredible in this new single and the band has a real future with him as the front man. Yes we all love Jonny Craig and we think he's a great artist, which he is, but just simply because we have grown emotionally attached to a certain lead singer of a band we love, doesn't make it logical to completely discount the raw vocal talent of McAndrew.