NewsFebruary 13, 2019 10:04 PM ET10,979 views

Zao guitarist says Tim Lambesis doesn't deserve to be in a band

It's been more than two years since Tim Lambesis was released from prison and nearly a year since he reformed As I Lay Dying, but his reactivated career remains controversial. While many in the scene support Lambesis' return to the music industry, many others find his quest for redemption self-serving and undeserved. Zao guitarist/vocalist Scott Mellinger clearly resides in the latter camp. Recently interviewed on the Brewtally Speaking Podcast (listen below), Mellinger expressed support for the other members of As I Lay Dying but spared no sympathy for Lambesis. Mellinger's sentiment is particularly interesting given that he and Lambesis co-produced Zao's Awake? album together in 2009. Mellinger had the following to say:
"With what little I know, I never thought those dudes would ever get back with that guy. I really never thought so. But I understand having music in your blood. The hard work that that group of guys took on themselves to do As I Lay Dying and turn it into what it became... I mean that band was one of the biggest metal bands at one time. "So the allure of that, it's hard to argue... it sucks cause you can't win. It's a lose/lose proposition really, in my opinion. Do I think those guys deserve to be a band? I think Nick, Phil and Jordan deserve anything and everything that they get, because they're the best dudes ever. "Do I think Tim Lambesis deserves to be in a band? Fuck no. That dude wouldn't be in a band if he went through with what he tried to go through. If he ended up not talking to a cop and talking to a real dude, like his wife might not be here, and it's hard for me to even rationalize or any of that kind of stuff. "And I get it; it's real easy now to look back on it and say I'm sorry and I'm repentant. Like if it would've worked out she would've been taken care of. That's it, done. What are you gonna repent for then, ya know? "It's just such a hard thing to think about cause, like I said, I love those three guys so much. They're some of the best dudes ever and I want to see them succeed in everything they do. It's just a really big time bummer that they had to get involved with that guy, and Tim to turn into the guy he turned into and now be in the situation they're in."
[via ThePRP]

anonymous 2/13/2019 7:11:40 PM

This should be awesome, I agree with Zao. Tim has not done enough!

anonymous 2/13/2019 7:34:44 PM

at 36:32 he starts to explain and he says... I'm not gonna pretend like im not the one behind (then he stutters) and says for it. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMM

anonymous 2/13/2019 10:40:21 PM

That dude had every opportunity to blast Tim Lambesis, and handled the interview with class. Zao actually tours on their own, releases their own material, and unlike As I Lay Dying, actually plays their old shit.

anonymous 2/13/2019 10:43:45 PM

Posting fake allegations about a standup dude with a wife and family. MAKES SENSE.

anonymous 2/13/2019 10:51:19 PM

when someone spits game on the same guy who played in creation is crucifixion: the price is wrong b*tch

anonymous 2/13/2019 10:53:22 PM

Nu-jacks arguing about whether Zao or AILD are better. OG merch prices don't lie sucka.

anonymous 2/13/2019 11:54:58 PM

Is that dumbshit posting allegations about Scott vs. younger girls Tim Lambesis himself trying to shift the blame? Shut your hole instead of spreading shit like that.

anonymous 2/14/2019 2:37:29 AM

Jesus he's not running for public office he's in a shit metal band. Guy is acting like that is some prominent privledge. Shut the fck up you self righteous cuck

anonymous 2/14/2019 3:19:11 AM

scott is just saying what a LOT of other people think and are afraid to say because they want on the tour package. kudos for having the balls. zao is punk as shit

anonymous 2/14/2019 3:34:10 AM

"this douchebag from Zao likes to get inappropriate with younger girls " this is hands down the most ridiculous thing I have seen on this site and that is saying a lot

anonymous 2/14/2019 6:20:49 AM

See what all you fcks did with your comparing of Zao to AILD? It was a ridiculous joke, and now Zao is commenting on Lambesis. You know what this is, right? It is to stir up drama and publicity before a goddamn Zao/AILD tour is announced. There will be a turf war between Zao fans and AILD fans at every show. Good job you dicks, you just got tons of people hurt. P.S. - Zao is so much fcking better than AILD.

anonymous 2/14/2019 6:23:40 AM

part of me thinks AILD will never allow Zao on a tour after this... but at the same time I think they will forgive scott.

anonymous 2/14/2019 6:26:58 AM

Actually, if you listen to the podcast he even concedes that his opinion doesn't matter and his point was that the jury is up to the public, he just doesn't understand why there isn't more outrage, which is a very valid question considering how many careers have been ended over less

anonymous 2/14/2019 6:37:01 AM

^ If only Tim had just dressed up in black face... ::sigh::

anonymous 2/14/2019 6:46:27 AM

some of the facebook comments throwing more outrage at what scott said than what Tim did just make me want to give up on the human race

SN00PY 2/14/2019 7:16:33 AM

'no short of controversy'? As if, controversy doesn't help a band market and sell its music? Maybe if idiots in zao got 'emselves into some controversy, like King810 or whatever, they wouldn't be such a has-been band they are today CONTROVERSY WORKS. AILD will remain as an original band because people do take notice to a shitbag like Tim. now shut up.

anonymous 2/14/2019 7:20:49 AM

^ And what does that say about people in general? We would rather give attention to pieces of shit like Lambesis, or that Bad Bhabie c*nt, people who should be denounced and used as examples of what not to be. Instead we make them rich and famous, instead of good people, like those in Zao, who are creating great art and all around good dudes. We have created this shit culture, but we can end it too.

SN00PY 2/14/2019 7:21:11 AM

*as its original band, not an original band, lmfao

SN00PY 2/14/2019 7:23:01 AM

To the goofy ass bleeding heart moron that commented above my correction post. Go join a sunday morning evangelical choir you pathetic gimp

anonymous 2/14/2019 7:25:36 AM

looks like they got to tim because now him and his new wife are posting marriage shit. he couldn't stand to have some negative press floating around. who cares what Zao thinks of Tim? apparently tim

unvisitedgrave 2/14/2019 7:27:33 AM

sounds like a jealous bitch. zao is never going to buy you a house. stop.

anonymous 2/14/2019 7:40:53 AM

Seeing Tim in the band is horrible. Music is to inspire goodness through free speech/art...not to scream I'm sorry I'm sorry I wanted you dead. He's profiting off of victimizing the living hell out of a woman for fck sakes.

anonymous 2/14/2019 7:51:29 AM

Any original members left in Zao?

anonymous 2/14/2019 7:56:28 AM

doesn't matter nobody gave a shit about the original lineup

anonymous 2/14/2019 8:37:10 AM

tim can be in a band if he wants. he also deserves absolutely ANY shit talking he gets as a result

anonymous 2/14/2019 8:57:37 AM

Is it pronounced Zow or Zay-oh? Someone please help

anonymous 2/14/2019 9:02:42 AM

it's pronounced shit-tier metalcore for basement dwelling nerds

fourthgradecocktease 2/14/2019 9:04:36 AM

Started licking my lips when I read that headline, but I guess we're taking the serious approach on this one Tim is a total sociopath that most people give a free pass and he completely deserves to be getting checked like this every now and then, people crying out against Scott for saying this probably drink their own piss

fourthgradecocktease 2/14/2019 9:06:14 AM

"it's pronounced shit-tier metalcore for basement dwelling nerds" ^ owns a Parkway Drive tank top, wears it frequently

anonymous 2/14/2019 9:17:59 AM

Tony B here "Aka the guy with the largest sperm count in independent music". Scott, I can understand your frustration with Tim. As owner of the world's #1 independent music label , I once offered him a lucrative 6 album contract, which he turned down. You don't turn down a Chicago business man with ties to the late Steve Jobs. Remember this isn't a company, this is a lifestyle.

anonymous 2/14/2019 9:28:37 AM

muggy here

anonymous 2/14/2019 9:31:06 AM

HELLO I AM ZAO GUITARIST

anonymous 2/14/2019 9:46:15 AM

thought christians were suppose to forgive, WHATS UP WITH THAT!

anonymous 2/14/2019 9:52:30 AM

Tim served his time so its about time we move the fck on already.

anonymous 2/14/2019 9:54:13 AM

Unknown guy from unknown band says "Tim Lambesis doesn't deserve to be in a band" I fixed the title of the article

anonymous 2/14/2019 9:58:54 AM

D-list band talks shit on C-list band. Got it

anonymous 2/14/2019 10:28:08 AM

GAO guitarist

anonymous 2/14/2019 10:43:54 AM

Meh..zao should have thrown in the towel when Jesse left. It's pointless. Zao was actually relevant when they were still a Christian band. Now it's almost as laugh worthy as the agony scene.

anonymous 2/14/2019 10:48:51 AM

gayo has never even sniffed the level success AILD has garnered with their multiple charting and genre defining outputs. only are relevant to a handful of failed musicians and dweebs chiming in here

anonymous 2/14/2019 11:24:23 AM

gayo also never tried to put a hit out on somebody. i will stick to their side

fourthgradecocktease 2/14/2019 11:26:47 AM

" Now it's almost as laugh worthy as the agony scene." Now that was a low blow

anonymous 2/14/2019 11:28:49 AM

Zao is about as relevant these days as a wet fart slowly Emmures from a butt hole and this guy knows it hence his attempt to drum up headlines for their next cobbled together shit sandwich of an album

anonymous 2/14/2019 11:52:15 AM

who cares if anyone put out a hit. metal and hardcore is suppose to be dangerous soy boy. quit acting so offended by people you don't even know and have zero impact on your menial life

anonymous 2/14/2019 12:15:33 PM

some white belt sasscore junk band would be way more relevant commenting than zao in 2019 lol. or 2009. or 1999

anonymous 2/14/2019 12:19:42 PM

Eric Reeder from OG Zao here. Who is ready for this altar call?

thetowerofrome 2/14/2019 12:56:07 PM

MOSH FOR fckING CHRIST

anonymous 2/14/2019 1:20:18 PM

Actually the entire band deserves nothing at all because the music has been boring derivative rehash garbage from day 1. Only thing that made this band but was being gay for the murder-singer and a cool name. In fact sexy murder man is the only thing good about it. fck Zao and fck god

anonymous 2/14/2019 1:24:22 PM

Is Scott even married? Probably a 40 year old virgin who doesn't get that everyone wants to kill their wife Tim just had the balls to go through with it. He's got bigger muscles too which says something

anonymous 2/14/2019 9:52:58 PM

stfu, tour together, take my money!

anonymous 2/15/2019 9:51:59 AM

"metal and hardcore is suppose to be dangerous soy boy." We found the little dicked incel!! But yeah, this is the most news Zao will ever get. Their reunion is shit stain.

anonymous 2/15/2019 12:39:08 PM

this is what non toxic masculinity looks like

anonymous 2/15/2019 12:48:37 PM

we found the clout chasing, buzzword regurgitating, 4chan dwelling mental gimp.

anonymous 2/15/2019 1:44:43 PM

^^^ we found the triggered snowflake!!

Turnstile 2/16/2019 1:30:21 AM

We want ZAO to stomp out Tim

anonymous 2/17/2019 9:34:45 AM

Scott- You don't think Tim deserves to be in a band because he hired someone to kill his wife? I agree but newsflash: his bandmates don't deserve to be in a band either because they voluntarily play in a band with Tim. You are the company you keep. You can't call out Tim but not his bandmates. If they didn't do the band with him he wouldn't do the band anymore and he'd start a new band with another group of guys who don't care that he hired someone to kill his wife.

anonymous 2/17/2019 3:45:55 PM

fck Tim Lambesis. Done.

anonymous 2/20/2019 1:01:25 AM

No one has the right to say anyone can't be in a band, I could careless if someone was a murderer or whatever. If they wanna make music they can do that, at that point it's up to me if I wanna support that band. At the same time rap speaks about killing people and even worse shit and I bump that hard as hell. So it is what it is, he did his time now he has to live with the aftermath of his decisions. He's lucky he had a good lawyer straight up. Also ZAO sucks now so who cares