NewsJuly 31, 2015 9:56 AM ET11,428 views

Kerry King: Kevin Lyman committed business suicide

As he conducts interview after interview regarding Mayhem Festival, Slayer guitarist Kerry King still isn't done assailing festival co-founder Kevin Lyman. Speaking with HoustonPress this week, King said that Lyman's recent assertion that "metal got gray, bald, and fat" was tantamount to committing "business suicide":
"I didn't take what he said personally. He just definitely had a mic put in front of him and said some shit that's detrimental to this tour and any tours he has in the future — not just Mayhem, but whatever else he promotes. Because, to me, he committed business suicide. "At the end of the day, what I think happened to Mayhem was that they waited too late in the game to get the talent they needed to pull it off correctly. Because what happens is, people get booked up so early these days that it seems like all the bands that could have made this more of a success are playing in Europe now instead of being on a U.S. festival. It just made the talent pool less than it could be."
Interestingly, however, King has not shut the door on playing Mayhem in the future:
"Under different circumstances, of course. One of the owners is a close friend of mine, and I can't wait for him to come back. Not to chew him out, just to say, 'Hey dude, I understand your partner made some shitty comments, but I don't hold that against you. You didn't say 'em, you're my bro, and somebody never should have put a mic in front of that guy. In the future you better keep a mic away from him if you want your festivals to be well-attended, because he's just fucking everything up.'"
In addition to co-founding Mayhem Fest, Lyman also founded Warped Tour, the largest and longest-running touring music festival in North America.

anonymous 7/31/2015 7:03:14 AM

RIP biz-aness

anonymous 7/31/2015 7:08:41 AM

They should just kiss and get it over with. Rob Halford is erect.

anonymous 7/31/2015 7:12:52 AM

suicide is no joke I hope that Kerry King burns in heaven

anonymous 7/31/2015 7:35:28 AM

Yeah, warped tour is really going to suffer from this. King has solidified his idiot status, needs to stick to writing the same riff over and over.

duckduckfootloose 7/31/2015 7:42:52 AM

Amnesia > Warped + Mayhem combined

anonymous 7/31/2015 8:03:42 AM

Is he still crying over this?

anonymous 7/31/2015 8:09:37 AM

I read Kerry King commits suicide then I was let down after I read it again.

anonymous 7/31/2015 8:13:49 AM

you're my broyou're my broyou're my broyou're my broyou're my broyou're my broyou're my broyou're my broyou're my broyou're my broyou're my broyou're my bro

anonymous 7/31/2015 8:24:02 AM

Don't put a mic in front of kerry king...it will be a dive bomb

anonymous 7/31/2015 8:30:26 AM

This guy...Nothing will ever match his ego. Slayer could be the first band to play on the moon and he would still complain about the attendance...

anonymous 7/31/2015 8:31:00 AM

FRONZ HERE! STAY SICK KING. YEA BRO

Jemenez_Cricket 7/31/2015 8:36:12 AM

Ugh, douchebag. Jungle Rot frontman was so right.

anonymous 7/31/2015 8:39:13 AM

King so so fcking irrelevant anymore. Don't be upset that no one wants to come see you play the same shit that you did 20 years ago.

anonymous 7/31/2015 8:46:31 AM

No one cares about Slayer anymore and there's finally no padding to disguise it. Let Tom go home to his kids. Its over.

anonymous 7/31/2015 8:53:14 AM

RAINING DOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU G From a lacerated sky

dog_boner 7/31/2015 9:10:21 AM

DOOOOOOOO WHAT TOLD YOUUUUAAH KEEP THE MIC AWAAAAYYYHHHAYY NEVER MISUNDERSTAND MEEEYEAH KEEP THE MIC AWAYYYYEAH

anonymous 7/31/2015 10:33:45 AM

Carrie King is a pretty girl. <smooch> :)

fourthgradecocktease 7/31/2015 10:54:59 AM

When did Kerry King adopt this self righteous Donald Trump attitude? You get paid to play guitar and make mean faces, bud. You're no more of a business man than some dumbshit kid from Illinois who plays baseball for a living.

anonymous 7/31/2015 11:05:27 AM

^^^^lol posts Rain in Blood on yt for a 'living'

anonymous 7/31/2015 11:35:27 AM

it is SO FVCKING FUNNY that the person having the biggest fit over the "gray, bald and fat" comment is in fact old, bald, and fat. like the only gay dude at a party going "oh, whats that supposed to mean?!" any time someone says the word fruit

anonymous 7/31/2015 1:03:30 PM

this is good for bitcoin

anonymous 7/31/2015 4:00:10 PM

kerry king is absolutely right. only a complete moron would badmouth the bands on his own fcking festival. too bad lyman is too busy sucking fronzs dck to see that

anonymous 8/1/2015 8:46:24 AM

Who the fck cares about slayer?

anonymous 8/1/2015 10:53:07 AM

Whenever I think of Kerry king I just see his tribal, bro.

anonymous 8/1/2015 5:25:31 PM

The chains he wears dangling from his pants are ridiculous… they have to be HEAVY CHAINS or be those prop plastic 2oz ones from the halloween store

anonymous 8/1/2015 6:07:20 PM

One of the owners is a close friend of mine, and I can't wait for him to come back. Come back? Who the fck you think booked your shitty ass?? Reese put the lineup together. Just because you're partners in that garbage whiskey company doesn't mean he's not at fault for this shit tour.

anonymous 8/2/2015 10:43:26 AM

Lyman's recent assertion that "metal got gray, bald, and fat Kerry King responds obviously.