NewsJuly 27, 2015 9:42 AM ET16,647 views

Jungle Rot frontman calls out Slayer's Kerry King

Slayer Kerry King and Jungle Rot Dave Matrise By now you've probably read about the comments from Slayer guitarist Kerry King regarding his dissatisfaction with this year's Mayhem Festival. Long story short, King summed up this year's tour by saying, "I understand it from a fan's perspective. I wouldn't spend money to come to this either." Naturally, King's sentiments weren't particularly well-received amongst other bands taking part in Mayhem Fest. One of those brave enough to call out King was Jungle Rot vocalist and guitarist Dave Matrise. Speaking to Live Metal on Friday (July 24), Matrise had this to say:
"I'm gonna be truthful — I take it very personal. I'm a longtime Slayer fan, and I hate to say it, but now I'm gonna change my thoughts about Slayer over this. It's because of the simple fact that there's a lot of people, including myself, and a lot of bands here that have a lot of money invested in this tour, and we're trying to make our money back, and we're trying to keep this thing rolling. And here's this guy, and he opens his mouth and sabotages the tour, in my opinion. And then he talks shit about Victory and that's our label as well, and calls it a 'shit stage.' Well, if it wasn't for Victory probably getting this stage, this tour would've never even happened. "That's just my opinion, and if he would get off the bus once in a while instead of charging $20 for a picture or a signing or whatever the hell he does, he'd probably see that there's some really good talent out there, man. So yeah, I take it very personal. I think he stuck his foot in his mouth and I hope this turns on him and I hope for the worst. I have had enough — the guy's been runnin' his mouth enough and this is the final straw."
Matrise was then asked if a physical confrontation between him and King was possible. Matrise responded:
"No, nothin' like that. Everyone's over it already, now we're just seein' what happens. All the band are sticking together, the crew's workin' hard — they're here at 6 a.m. in the morning. He just has to think before he talks. "This stuff ain't easy, man. In livin' this lifestyle, touring is touring and he should know. He's been doing this for however many years. "You take the punches when they roll, man, on every tour. Every tour is up and down like a roller coaster — they're all not gonna just be glamorous. "It just don't make sense to me. He could've waited until he was done after the tour to open his mouth. It would've been much better. No one would've cared then."

anonymous 7/27/2015 7:05:17 AM

Roger Klotz frontman calls out Slayer's Skunky Beaumont

xbumpx 7/27/2015 7:05:28 AM

kerry is an egg fart

anonymous 7/27/2015 7:07:55 AM

Good for him man. I have heard that the only people drawing to this are actually the metal/hardcore acts in particular Thy Art Is Murder, White Chapel and Jungle Rot. Many have stated that if it wasn't for King Diamond playing on the mainstage that place would be totally empty. People are being handed free tickets from people in the music scene and anyone who goes gets upgraded to orchestra seats to fill the venue.

anonymous 7/27/2015 7:08:07 AM

The problem with this tour is Slayer themselves... they are not a headlining band for a festival but a support slot.

dog_boner 7/27/2015 7:09:18 AM

Dude in shitty band calls out dude in shittier band, wonders why tour is shitty.

anonymous 7/27/2015 7:20:29 AM

That dude looks like a frickin' zombie, man.

anonymous 7/27/2015 7:46:54 AM

Kick his ass seabass

anonymous 7/27/2015 8:00:43 AM

everyones too scared to admit they love breakdowns.

anonymous 7/27/2015 8:11:37 AM

Beat him up and carry him out piece by piece.

anonymous 7/27/2015 8:26:13 AM

not much of a call out. "hey dude, why you say that? don't hurt me please." also, who is he?

Jemenez_Cricket 7/27/2015 8:27:52 AM

Nice.

anonymous 7/27/2015 8:33:18 AM

I think this is well said... Im not sure I would call Jungle Rot a "Draw" but he makes a valid point... Slayer's draw has become similar to an ICP following.. Just sad a times

anonymous 7/27/2015 8:55:40 AM

Kerry king has cancer.

anonymous 7/27/2015 9:26:31 AM

Slayer is exclusively for 12 year olds and Kerry King looks like the head of a penis

anonymous 7/27/2015 9:28:08 AM

Kerry King has tribal tattoos on his head...

anonymous 7/27/2015 9:30:50 AM

Slayer blows anyway.

anonymous 7/27/2015 9:52:32 AM

the wrong guitarist died.

anonymous 7/27/2015 9:52:38 AM

For the love of god disable comments think of the FRONZY!!!

anonymous 7/27/2015 9:59:17 AM

I don't blame Kerry.I love Slayer for what they were when I was younger, but now he's become a pretty big fcking prick. But honestly, who the fck gives a shit about Jungle Rot. I don't even know how they're even on a shitty label as big as Victory. I remember them being like a D-list opening band in the late 90s. This just sounds like the most awful fcking excuse for a tour ever. I'd rather go to Summer's Laughter than this shitshow.

anonymous 7/27/2015 11:02:48 AM

whole tour sounds like a FRONZI SCHEME

anonymous 7/27/2015 11:09:41 AM

it's a shit stage because it's not 2005 victory records, it's the current garbage roster

anonymous 7/27/2015 11:46:42 AM

LISTEN UP AND THE FRONZIE IS HERE! Once again jerry king hasn't shut up his pig - and the juggle-bot camp isn't taking this lying down for ever!! Shots were let out of his barrel and the monkey out the cage OO-oo-AHH-ah-AHH!!! Good for Skater standing up for what their money, and good for the Juggle-Boys camp for standing up for the scene at large! This tour package ain't nothin but a blessin boys

anonymous 7/27/2015 11:50:07 AM

What tribe does Kerry King belong to?

anonymous 7/27/2015 12:42:26 PM

Everyone should check out Jungle Rot. They don't get enough praise.

anonymous 7/27/2015 1:05:43 PM

My weiner itches from all this Slayer talk... Anyone else?

anonymous 7/27/2015 3:39:18 PM

I agree w/ the other guy...Kerry King has tribal tattoos...on his head, Slayer never Slayed after that...

anonymous 7/27/2015 3:43:30 PM

Both are correct. Slayer looks like they are just going through the motions to me. They are living off their former glory. Victory doesn't even have enough metal bands to fill up a stage. They've spent the last 5 years signing gimmick bands. They can't tell a good band from a bad one. If they where make-up, costumes, play funk metal, etc., they will sign you and then not know what to do with you because they can only get these bands out on tour by sponsoring a stage.

genghisjohn 7/27/2015 7:24:34 PM

^ If they where make-up If they where make-up If they where make-up If they where make-up If they where make-up If they where make-up If they where make-up If they where make-up If they where make-up If they where make-up If they where make-up If they where make-up If they where make-upIf they where make-up If they where make-upIf they where make-up If they where make-up If they where make-up

nodicenate 7/27/2015 9:22:20 PM

Solid response from Matrise. Kerry King just needs to shut his mouth and never open it again. Only crap comes out. All the good will he accumulated from being a part of the creation of such incredible records as Show No Mercy, Hell Awaits, Reign in Blood, and South of Heaven is now long gone. Seems like he just can't help but be the biggest douchebag possible these days...

anonymous 7/28/2015 9:30:37 AM

Bout time. Kerry King is a meat head. They are the grandfathers of metal now. They are a support act. And Kerry King cant stand the fact that his band isnt the one headlining. Its called getting old. Time to come out with an indie record and start playing county fairs.

anonymous 7/28/2015 10:14:34 AM

Kerry King received throat cancer from giving "the Fronz" a rim shot

anonymous 7/28/2015 1:54:04 PM

that line up was pure shit. I give king props for calling that shit out, most of the bands on the bill where fcking garbage to begin with. seriously dwp over whitechaple .I don't even like WC an I know that's fcking retarded. The place was empty till King Diamond. I showed up, caught JR on 2nd, bounced back to the car (scalped VIP tickets ftw) drank went back for hellya. place was empty, finally half way into KD's set everyone finally showed up that right there tells ya everything.

anonymous 7/28/2015 2:48:07 PM

Kerry King received throat cancer from giving "the Fronz" a rim shot

anonymous 7/29/2015 4:27:53 AM

Jungle Rot is anti-American. Hope Kerry beats his ass.

anonymous 7/29/2015 6:05:32 AM

most of the bands on the bill where fcking garbage to begin with-most of the bands on the bill where fcking garbage to begin with-most of the bands on the bill where fcking garbage to begin with-most of the bands on the bill where fcking garbage to begin with-most of the bands on the bill where fcking garbage to begin with-most of the bands on the bill where fcking garbage to begin with-most of the bands on the bill where fcking garbage to begin with-