Home > Forum > Topic

Cortisol levels and depression

God 38 days ago
They did a study of people, having them check their cortisol levels when they were feeling depressed and it was the equivalent of a person having been punched in the face.

B__DAWG 38 days ago
you ever been punched in the face?

God 38 days ago
Not really as an adult

God 38 days ago
Not depression, rather feeling lonely. They were asked to check their levels when lonely in this study: "When John and his colleagues added up the data, they were startled. Feeling lonely, it turned out, caused your cortisol levels to absolutely soar - as much as some of the most disturbing things that can happen to you. Becoming acutely lonely, the experiment found, was as stressful as experiencing a physical attack. It's worth repeating. Being deeply lonely seemed to cause as much stress as being punched by a stranger."

B__DAWG 38 days ago
so how do you lower it?

God 38 days ago
I don't know. Get a hamster or one of those well socialized rats

B__DAWG 38 days ago
sure hope the answer isn't meditation, proper diet, proper sleep and avoiding drugs and alcohol

God 38 days ago
Well, it's all connected. If you don't get good sleep, you're more likely to eat poorly. And then it becomes a cycle. If you don't meditate, you don't think clearly. How do I unf*ck myself. I mean I don't meditate. I just dont fill my head with too many YouTube ads.

Inkongudunk 38 days ago
Getting punched in the face doesn't really cause that much stress though. You either get stunned or wanna punch back.

Inkongudunk 38 days ago
Given my personality, I get punched alllllll the time

God 38 days ago
I don't know. I would say it's pretty distressing

Inkongudunk 38 days ago
Feeling overpowered in ground grappling. That's stressful. But more in like a, ok I gotta solve this math problem in less than 5 seconds kinda stress

B__DAWG 38 days ago
ever see Fight Club?

Inkongudunk 38 days ago
No, but I did watch Space Balls